Traffic Ticket Defense
In the state of Florida, breaking the rules of the road and getting a moving violation usually means that you will be fined and potentially have a black mark on your driving record. However, certain traffic offenses rise to the level of criminal offenses. When you are accused of a traffic crime, you face much more serious penalties including jail time, fines and a criminal record.
There are, however, some potential defenses to traffic crimes that you may be able to raise. The appropriate defense will depend on the nature of the crime you are accused of, and on the circumstances surrounding your offense. Residents of Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Wellington, Jupiter or other areas in Palm Beach and West Palm Beach who are accused of traffic crimes may wish to contact the experienced West Palm Beach traffic ticket defense lawyers at Musca Law. Our traffic ticket attorneys in West Palm Beach have helped countless clients accused of traffic offenses to avoid penalties and minimize the consequences of traffic offense charges.
Traffic Ticket Defense in West Palm Beach
Behaviors behind the wheel that rise to the level of criminal traffic offenses in Florida are usually actions that are egregiously reckless or that cause potential danger to people on the road. Examples of traffic offenses include:
- Vehicular homicide or manslaughter (Florida Statute §782.071). Vehicular homicide is the killing of another person or a viable fetus by operating your car in a reckless manner likely to cause death. Vehicular homicide may either be a first or second-degree felony depending on the wrongful acts.
- Hit and run/ leaving the scene of an accident (Florida Statute §316.027) A hit and run occurs when someone causes an accident/injury with his vehicle and then leaves the scene of the accident. Hitting and running may be classified as a third degree felony.
- Drag racing. (Florida Statute § 316.191). A drag race involves two or more vehicles competing to see which is a better driver or which can go faster. Drag racing is generally classified as a misdemeanor offense in Florida.
- Driving without a license (Florida Statute § 322.03) Driving a motor vehicle without a driver’s license may be classified as a first-degree misdemeanor.
The consequences for these different traffic offenses will typically include the loss of your license. Fines and jail time are also common results of a criminal traffic offense, especially for vehicular manslaughter or vehicular homicide. When convicted of a criminal traffic offense, you will also have a criminal record and your car insurance rates will be extremely high.
There are, however, certain defenses that can be raised for traffic offenses. The defense will largely depend upon the nature of the offense you are accused of. For instance, you could argue insufficient evidence, mistaken identity, or a violation of your constitutional rights. The experienced traffic ticket attorneys in West Palm Beach at Musca Law will help you to explore all possible defenses so you can make an informed choice. You may also be able to plea bargain the charges down to a lesser charge to minimize the penalties and avoid jail time, or to enter into a first time offender/diversion program to avoid a criminal record.
Traffic Defense Lawyers in Palm Beach County
At Musca Law we protect everyday citizens facing the following traffic offense allegations in West Palm Beach, Florida:
- DUI (Driving Under the Influence)
- DWI (Driving While Intoxicated)
- DUID (Driving Under the Influence of Drugs)
- Vehicular Manslaughter
- Vehicular Homicide
- Hit & Run
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- Speeding Tickets
- Moving Violations
- Red Light Citations
- Toll Violations
- Commercial Vehicle Offenses
- Suspended or Revoked Drivers License Issues
- Habitual Offender
- Underage Driving
- Underage DUI
Don’t gamble with your freedom, future and reputation. If you are facing traffic offense charges in Palm Beach County, call the West Palm Beach traffic ticket defense lawyers at Musca Law for a free consultation. 239-277-5297. Phone answered 24/7.